Loka’s Ultimate Packing Hacks
The Loka tour guides are seasoned veterans when it comes to life on the road and we have discovered quite a few handy tricks along the way! If you need ideas on how to save space, protect your valuables, and keep your belongings fresh and clean with minimal effort, look no further! Check out our favourite packing hints and tips below…
- Pack your shoes in shower caps to keep the other items in your bag clean.
- Mark your baggage as fragile. This is a great way to ensure it is handled with the highest care. It also means it is kept at the top of airplane cargo so will be one of the first bags released.
- Place a dryer sheet at the bottom of your bag to keep your clothes smelling fresh.
- Save space by minimising toiletries. Most hostels will provide you with shampoo and shower gel if you ask at reception. Look out for products with multiple uses too – coconut oil is awesome for removing makeup, it’s great for your skin and hair, and you can cook with it too.
- If you are packing necklaces, run them through a straw to prevent those awful tangles that are a nightmare to unravel.
- Steer clear of using lots of small purses and pouches. You may feel super organised but this creates lots of unused space in your bag. Socks and toiletries are perfect items to squeeze in your bag and fill up the gaps.
- Use a bag or case that you can open completely and gives you full access to all of your belongings. Top loading backpacks are a nightmare when you need something from the bottom of your bag.
- There is nothing worse than opening up your bag to find that your liquids have leaked all over your clothing. Keep plastic wrap on hand and place over the top of your containers before screwing the caps on to prevent spills.
- It can be hard to find a power sockets to charge one device, let alone two or three! A power board is perfect for travel, whether it be at the airport or in your hostel room. It means you only need one convertor too!
- Stuff your underwear and socks in your shoes and roll your clothes when packing to save space and keep them crease free.
- Collect hostel soap bars and throw them in with your dirty laundry whilst in transit to avoid stinking out the rest of your luggage!
- Use an old sunglasses case to store all of your charging cables. It will keep them all in one place and avoid any unnecessary drama.
- Place a cotton pad in your blush or powder compact to ensure it doesn’t break whilst in transit.
- Roll up your belt and stick inside the neck of any collared shirt you would like to keep clean and stiff.
- If you can’t live without your hair straighteners, take a cheap pot holder so you can pack it away even when it’s still warm