Top 5 Must-Haves on the Train
Similar to getting on a plane, once you have checked your luggage on the Queensland Rail train, you won’t be able to access it again until you arrive at your next stop, so being organised is key.
These are the 5 things that Loka guides Amy and Dylan think are key for travelling on the LOKAmotive:
- Something warm and comfy to pull on – the train can often get a bit chilly so heading into cooler months, have a jumper just in case you get cold.
- A pillow – if you have a travel pillow, the train is one place it will definitely be handy (especially for the overnight train!)
- Snacks – while the train does have food available, it is a limited menu so if you know you’re going to want more Tim Tams or a vegemite sandwich, be sure to bring it with you.
- A deck of cards, music, a good book or any other entertainment for yourself or a small group – having something to do always makes time go faster when you’re travelling. Take advantage of having some time out and relax, maybe even catch up on your travel journal or writing that next blog post you’ve been meaning to right since day one.
- A sleepy time playlist – when you need to catch up on sleep after a few big days on Fraser Island or sailing in the Whitsundays, a chilled out playlist always comes in handy. If you don’t already have one, apps like Spotify have some great ones ready to go.
and a bonus one just because we can,
- Anything you need for a shower – the showers on the train are actually amazing (particularly if you jump on the train straight after a night camping in the rainforest) so a towel, body wash, shampoo and clean clothes will make you feel brand new!
Loka guides and groups travel on trains between Cooroy/Gympie and Cairns in Queensland with local connections to the coast.
Loka passes that include rail sectors are: